In this blog post we are going to talk about how to focus driving energy versus pushing energy, namely from your shoulders to the elbows. That is the basis on how to get your arms properly out towards your opponent.
One of the tests that I show my students to see if they are putting their energy correctly in the right spot, is to put our shoulders to our ear and your partner is going to hold you.
Can you take the shoulders and push down, where it feels like you won’t go up or can you drive your energy down? When your partner is trying to push your shoulder up can you hold the energy down? The video below shows how the test is done.
If you know how to send the energy down from your shoulders to your elbows, it won’t feel like you are being picked up and/or knocked over. This test will help you understand the difference between driving energy and pushing energy.
Pushing energy is basically going towards the elbow around the elbow, near the elbow but not into the elbow. In order to drive energy you need the energy to go into the elbow. The difference is concentrated power.
It’s like the difference between a punch that grazes vs. a punch that drives. A driving punch will penetrate, it’s much more powerful and much more concentrated because all of the energy goes to a single point.
That’s what we want to learn how to do: Drive the energy from the shoulder to the elbow, if you can do that you will have much stronger arms. Its’ much steadier if he punches you, because your arms are steadier which means you won’t feel it bounce back into the body.
[video_player type=”youtube” youtube_hide_controls=”Y” youtube_remove_logo=”Y” youtube_force_hd=”hd1080″ width=”853″ height=”480″ align=”center” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”20″]aHR0cDovL3lvdXR1LmJlLy1LY0xWYnRMRlFR[/video_player]
The 3 Floors To Having Good Arms
- Shoulder to elbow is your first floor
- Elbow to your wrist is your second floor
- Wrist rotation, wrist articulation is your third floor
You can not have a third floor or second floor without the first floor. So understanding how to drive energy from your shoulder to your elbow will help you learn the first floor. This technique will help you develop the ability to send energy into your hand.
- Enter Shaolin Update | Perseverance, Patience and Miracles - November 4, 2016
- Enter Shaolin Update | Growing Pains and The Next Phase of Ngo Dac Na 101 - October 21, 2016
- Exclusive Abbot Training – Throwing Proper Hook Punches & Upper Cuts - September 25, 2015
- Enter Shaolin Updates | What’s New This Week 07/10/15 - July 10, 2015
- Enter Shaolin Updates | What’s New This Week 07/03/15 - July 3, 2015