One of the most frustrating things that happens in Kung Fu training is when your opponent is stronger than you and you don’t know how handle the pressure. It can be frustrating to say the least. But no worries, there is a solution to this.
One of the reasons the weaker training partner will find themselves collapsing and not being able to deal with a person’s forward energy, is because they are reacting to what they are feeling rather than responding to it.
A reaction is something that you do naturally like flinching for example. While a response is something you trained your body to do to replace and overwrite the reaction.
Structure depends on strategy: strategy is determined according to events.” – Cao Cao
I often say women can learn how to deal with strength easier than men can. This is because men are taught that having strength is a sign of power, while women know that men are usually stronger and therefor most are not going in to a situation thinking they can out muscle the guy. Instead women rely on their feelings more.
Feeling more helps women to get what Sifu Phu is about to share easier than men. But no worries guys, with practice you will get it too.
The answer to increasing your Kung Fu skill is not about getting stronger, rather it’s about becoming more open to what you are feeling.
In this video Sifu Phu answer’s a question from one of our members about forward energy and intent which will help you to understand how to deal with more pressure or strength.
Check out Understanding How To Deal With A Person’s Forward Energy below:
Contact point means control point” – Sifu Phu Ngo
Here’s the key points in this lesson:
- Follow the principles of Yin and Yang
- You need to be rooted to drive energy
- Don’t resist, learn to assist
- Don’t stop energy convert energy
- Attack the point
Strength is only an illusion, it’s only there if you resist” – Sifu Phu Ngo
In order to have the right energy that Sifu is talking about, also refer to our 3 P.R.O.O.F video for better understanding how to find the control point.
Checkout 3 P.R.O.O.F. is Fool Proof below:
If you are already a member of Enter Shaolin, you can learn more about 3 P.R.O.O.F. here:
- Maintaining The 3 P.R.O.O.F. In Motion
- Self Pressure Test (3 P.R.O.O.F.)
- Sifu Phu Ngo’s EUSAIMMA Seminar 2015
Talk to you soon,
Sifu Larry Rivera
& The Enter Shaolin Family
- Enter Shaolin Update | 10 Life Hacks To A Better Life - August 31, 2019
- Enter Shaolin Weekly Update | Growing And Learning - August 23, 2019
- Enter Shaolin Weekly Update | Getting Back Into The Flow Of Things - August 10, 2019
- Abbot Member Richard’s First Sil Lum Tao Critique - August 5, 2019
- Abbot Member Daniel’s Training Critique | Rice Trainer Drills - June 28, 2019