When it comes to self defense one of the first things you think about is “how are you going to respond in a dangerous situation”. For many people the idea that you might have to defend yourself in life or death situation is horrifying. That’s okay if you also feel that way you aren’t alone.
Important Self Defense Tips:
- Scan your surroundings
- Remember practically anything can be a weapon
- Be mindful of your breathing
- Try and not wander alone
- Learn some martial art skills
Scan your surrounding – Be aware of who is around you. Be especially aware of people who are watching you. Take note of objects that are also around you. Knowing the lay of the land is crucial to you being in a favorable position at all times.
Everything is a weapon – From the change in your pocket or if you are a women your purse or whatever is in your purse can all be used as weapons. Sticks on the ground, rocks etc…
#1 Most important rule – Breath! Breathing is by far the most important thing you have to constantly be mindful of. The more worried you are the more you have to pay attention to taking nice controlled breaths. To often people start to panic because they aren’t breathing correctly.
Use the buddy system when you can – It’s just common sense if you can avoid going to places alone that is always the most ideal situation. This is especially true at night.
Finally study some martial arts – The fact of the matter is it is better to have some understanding then no understanding. The saying knowledge is power is true.
Now it’s your turn…
What do you think is the most important self defense tip?
Learn more Self Defense tips:
- Enter Shaolin Update | Keep Moving Forward + Tai Chi Principles & More - July 13, 2018
- Sifu’s Corner | How Qigong, Tai Chi & Wing Chun Can Drastically Increase Your Martial Arts Skill - July 11, 2018
- Abbot Member Alban’s Training Critique | First Tai Chi Critique - June 29, 2018
- Abbot Member John’s Training Critique | First Tai Chi Critique - June 22, 2018
- Abbot Member Dominic Training Critique | First Wing Chun Critique - June 15, 2018